National Autonomous University of Mexico 1965 - 1971
Pediatric Surgery Specialty Residency Program
National Health Service, United Kingdom 1972-1977
About Dr. Joel Velasco Ariza
Born in Mexico, Dr. Joel is a loving father and dedicated health care specialist. Exceling in his medical education both in Mexico and abroad. He completed his specialized training in the United Kingdom at one of the top health care institutions in that country.
A well-known conference speaker in Mexico, he takes pride in developing future medical specialists with over 20-years experience in academia. He has great joy in bringing happiness to families, making sure that their children grow up healthy.
England 1972 - 1977
• National Health Service
• The Hospital for sick children, Great Ormond Street London
• The Birmingham children’s hospital
• Queen Mary’s hospital, Carlshalton
Mexico City 1978 – 1989
• Hospital Juarez, ministry of health (large teaching hospital)
• Hospital Manuel Gea Gonzalez, ministry of health (large teaching hospital)
Ensenada Mexico 1989 – to date
• Institute of Social Security of Baja California
• General Hospital of Ensenada
• Private Practice Hospital Velmar
• National Autonomous University of Mexico school of medicine 1978 – 1989
• Chief of medical education at ISSSTECALI hospital (Institute of health and social security of Baja California) 1997 - 2001
Certifications and Affiliations
• Mexican College of Pediatric Surgeons 1978 – to date
• American Academy of Pediatrics 1977 – 1989
• British Association of Pediatric Surgeons 1989 – 2006
• Mexican College of Pediatricians 1992 – to date
• College of Pediatricians of Baja California 1992 – to date
• President of the Baja California College of Pediatric Surgeons 2011-2012
• President of the Baja California College of Pediatricians 2012 – 2013
• International Pediatric Endosurgery Group 2011 – to date
• 1985 - "Carcinoma gástrico de células en anillo de sello en una paciente de 14 años. Reporte de un caso". Boletín Médico del Hospital Infantil de México. Vol. 42,No. 9, 571-574;Sept. 1985
• 1987 - "Apendicectomía profiláctica con técnica invaginante. Reporte de 18 casos". Boletín Médico del Hospital Infantil de México. Vol. 44; 610-613; oct 87.
• 1998 - “Fístula Vésico Umbilical en una recién nacida, variante rara de defecto de cierre del uraco”. Revista Mexicana de Cirugía Pediátrica. Vol. 5; No. 2 ;85-88; Abril-junio 1998.
• 2003 - “Abdomen agudo por isquemia del bazo secundaria a esplenopstosis. Experiencia con dos casos. Revista Mexicana de Cirugía Pediátrica. Vol. 10, No. 2 Abril-Junio de 2003.